I know it’s been a while since the last beta version of S5 was released, but between doing client work, flying to and from Albany (speaking of that, big ups to Dan “So Fine” Feinberg, Ed “The Shark” Skawinski, Ric “Darin” DiDonato, and the rest of the ITU Crew), diversions into PHP hacking, judging a markover contest, starting ballroom dancing classes, and spending time with my family, time has been a wee bit tight. Things will only get worse once March rolls into town, so I’m going to try to push 1.1 into final status before February is done.
In the meantime, I wanted to point to some cool things that I’ve heard about with regards to S5.
- S5 was adapted to create an online tour of Epocrates, a popular medical reference package for handhelds. Kat uses it, as a matter of fact.
- Ludovic Dubost, developer of XWiki, created an XWiki-based S5 creator, which you can read more about in his blog entry about it.
- Pelle Braendgaard launched soapbx.com, a Web-driven S5 editor. You can pick a theme, write the content in a wiki-like form, and get a slideshow. It was apparently developed using Ruby On Rails.
- Not quite ten hours after getting Pelle’s e-mail, a message from Lucas Carlson arrived regarding the creation of his own S5 creator: s5presents.com. It too was developed using Ruby On Rails.
- Earlier today, Eric Eggert reported that S5 got coverage in the German version of Internet World magazine. I’m sort of hoping to see a scan of the article at some point. (Is it copyright infringement if I possess a scanned copy but can’t understand what it says? Just wondering.)
In other, less specific news, I know that people have created or are working on creating translators of one kind or another. A popular request seems to be an OPML-to-S5 translator of some kind, and there’s always the Keynote-to-S5 idea. So I’m going to throw open comments for people to post links to S5-related projects, translators, and what have you. Heck, if you’ve recently done a presentation using S5, let’s see it, especially if you created a new theme. Just please leave this post’s comment clear of bug reports or feature requests. As of this writing, you can drop those on the S5 1.1b3 post, or else wait for the forthcoming post on 1.1b4. I hope that’ll go up in the next couple of days, but no promises.