And now, S5 1.1b5: try the testbed online, or download the 208KB ZIP file). There is one functional change since S5 1.1b4: the Home and End keys now jump to the first and last slides, respectively, when in the slide show view. In outline view, S5 will ignore those keystrokes (as it does all keys other than “T”) and allow the browser to do whatever it usually does. This is actually an addition, as neither key was being used in previous versions of S5.
There is still a major conflict between S5 and the AdBlock extension for Firefox/Mozilla. I don’t know what’s causing it, but I do know that if you’re running AdBlock and you load up an S5 presentation, you’re likely to find yourself trapped in the presentation, unable to use the back button or do much of anything else short of quit the program. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. I’ve started a thread in the AdBlock forum about it, and hopefully a solution will be found. I will not delay finalizing 1.1 for this, however. If a solution comes up after that and it calls for modifications to S5, then I’ll release a 1.1.1 version for AdBlock users.
A similar problem in Safari is still hanging about: in the outline view, the Page Up and Page Down keys are ignored. I still have no idea why. If anyone can find a solution, please let me know.
The PNG transparency fix introduced in 1.1b4 is still restricted to foreground images (i.e., those brought in via an
img element). In the default directory, there are two .htc files. v1.1b5 uses pngbehavior.htc. The other file, iepngfix.htc, can theoretically confer alpha-channel recognition to background PNGs in IE/Win. I was unable to make this work, but the pieces are all there to experiment and find the fix I missed. The behaviors need to be attached using
addRule calls in slides.js; there’s one there already. Hopefully a fix can be found in time to make it into 1.1 final.
Speaking of which, this is the last beta version before going final—I need to get it out the door so I can concentrate on other things for a bit. Bug reports beyond the AdBlock problem are welcome, and fixes even more so. I’m still open to feature requests for versions beyond v1.1, of course.